Our ministry to Miramar began in the early days of Watt’s Peninsular. The main access was via the Harbour ferries as most of the homes were around the shoreline. Wharves were at Karaka Bay, Seatoun and Miramar wharf at the “cutting”. The first Methodist church was built at Worser Bay and opened in 1913 continuing there until 1970 when it was sold and the remaining members joined the Miramar Methodist Church.
In 1910 there were very few houses in Miramar but residents had been looking for a suitable site to build a Methodist Church. Money was very short; however in 1911 the Conference agreed to purchase a section on the corner of Hobart Street and Devonshire Road where, in 1924, a small group of dedicated people erected the first Church hall in one day.
Knox Presbyterian Church in Miramar was built in Argentine Avenue and dedicated on 1 October 1922 and was served by the Seatoun Minister. However in 1927 Dr James Gibb (recently retired from St John’s) was appointed to the Miramar Home Mission Station. The church grew in the thirties and forties and a healthy Sunday school was held in Miramar North School – Methodist families also attended, it was nearer to their homes. The church was sold in 1955 and a new Church built in Darlington Road and opened in 1956.
In 1970 in Miramar, as elsewhere, the years of huge Sunday Schools and Bible Classes were over and so the idea of amalgamating the two congregations began. This resulted in the Miramar Uniting Church being formed in 1977 with services in both churches. However, in 1989 the last service was held at Knox and it was sold to a Russian Orthodox church congregation. Funds from the sale were invested and in 1996 the redevelopment of the Methodist buildings took place giving us a new focal point for the combined church community.
In the wake of the Canterbury earthquakes, 2015 saw the building earthquake-strengthened. The church community and its building are ready for a new era of service and witness to Jesus in Miramar.